Louisiana Crawfish Boudin
A sausage made of meat or seafood combined with spices and rice, Boudin is unique
among American sausages.
- 2 pounds Louisiana Crawfish tails, peeled
- 8 ounces hog casings
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup onions, small dice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, small dice
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, small dice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup green onions, greens only
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Creole mustard
- Soak hog casings in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Hold casings open under a running faucet and flush water through inside of casings.
Reserve casings chilled.
- Place Louisiana Crawfish tails in bowl and season with salt, cayenne, white pepper
and Creole seasoning. Reserve chilled.
- Heat large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 3 tablespoons canola oil.
- Add onions, garlic, celery and bell peppers and cook until peppers are tender
and onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Reserve.
- Heat another large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add remaining 3 tablespoons
- Add seasoned crawfish and sauté until cooked through (about 6-8 minutes).
- Add white wine and cook until liquid is reduced by 2/3. Reserve.
- Combine cooked vegetables, cooked crawfish and cooking liquid, cooked rice, parsley
and green onions in large bowl.
- Place mixture on cutting board and chop coarsely with knife until crawfish pieces
are about 1/4 of original size.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place mixture into a sausage press and fill casings. Twist casings a few times
every 5 inches to separate each link. Fill all casings until mixture is finished.
- To cook, fill large pot with 3 inches of water and bring to simmer.
- Add crawfish sausage and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from water and serve hot with Creole mustard.
Yield: 6 appetizer servings or 4 entree servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):