Louisiana Crawfish Ravioli with Crawfish Cream Sauce
Crawfish stuffed pasta tossed in creamy crawfish sauce.
- 2 pounds Louisiana Crawfish Tails, raw, peeled, shells reserved
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups onions, small dice
- 1 cup green bell peppers, small dice
- 1 cup red bell peppers, small dice
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce
- 5 cups heavy cream, divided
- 8 eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups green onions, divided
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Premade pasta sheets (or square wonton wrappers), as needed
- 2 cups tomatoes, canned, diced, with liquid
- 1 cup shallots, sliced
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and
sauté until translucent, but with no color (about 5 minutes). Add green and
red bell peppers, Louisiana Crawfish tails, Creole seasoning and Original TABASCO®
brand Pepper Sauce. Cook until crawfish are cooked through (1-2 minutes) and
add 1 cup heavy cream. Reduce until most of cream has evaporated and pan is
almost dry. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Once cool enough to touch, add 4 eggs and 1 cup green onions and mix. Then
add breadcrumbs gradually and mix to combine. Reserve chilled until ready to
- To make ravioli, roll out sheet of pasta (or use square wonton wrappers).
Cut into 3-inch squares. Place spoonful of crawfish mixture in middle of each
pasta square. Brush edges of pasta with remaining egg and fold over to form
triangle. Use fork to press edges down to seal. Repeat, using rest of crawfish
filling. Reserve prepared ravioli in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- To prepare Crawfish Cream Sauce, combine remaining 4 cups cream, tomatoes,
shallots, garlic, sherry, thyme, bay leaf and reserved crawfish shells in large
sauce pot. Bring to simmer and cook until reduced by half. Strain into sauce
pot and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve hot.
- Cook ravioli in salted boiling water until pasta is tender. While pasta
is cooking, heat up some Crawfish Cream Sauce in large sauté pan. Remove ravioli
from water and drain. Add ravioli to sauce and simmer additional minute or two.
- To plate, place 6 raviolis or (10 raviolis for entrée) on each plate and
spoon some Crawfish Cream Sauce on top. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup chopped
Recipe credit: Louisiana Seafood.