Louisiana Fried Fish
- Fresh fish fillets or whole fish
- Tabasco sauce
- Plain yellow cornmeal
- Salt, to taste
- Peanut oil
- Lemon slices
- Wash and clean your catch thoroughly.
- Drain on paper towels for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle fish heartily with Tabasco.
- Season cornmeal with salt in a sturdy brown paper bag. Shake fish in the bag
of seasoned cornmeal. Shake off loose meal from fish and start heating oil in a
heavy, deep pot. When a match dropped in the pot ignites, your grease is ready.
(Dropping a match is the secret to the best fried fish — it could also be
- Drop the fish into the hot oil, a few at a time. Fry just until the fish floats
to the surface, and drain on brown paper bags. Keep in warm oven until all the fish
- Serve with fresh lemon slices and tartar sauce.
Yellow cornmeal prevents overcooking fish while trying to brown it. When fish
floats, it is done.
After using oil, cool and strain it through a coffee filter in order too cook
fish in it several more times.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes