Louisiana Lima Bean Soup
I've also made this recipe with about 2 cups
chopped ham instead of the ham bone. It's absolutely the best bean soup I've
ever eaten. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Lima beans, dried
- 8 cups water
- 1 whole ham bone
- 3 small onions,
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper,
- 1 cup canned tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Louisiana Hot Pepper Sauce for garnish
- Wash Lima beans. Place in large kettle. Add water and ham bone, the onions, and
the bay leaf. Cover. Simmer over low heat until beans are tender.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the whole beans. Force remainder through a coarse sieve.
- Return the whole beans to the soup mixture, add the carrots, green pepper and
tomatoes. Continue cooking over low heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper. If there is any ham on the bone, cut into bits and add to
- Dash on as much Louisiana Hot Sauce as you like when serving.
Yield: about 8-10 servings
Per serving: 145 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (2% calories from fat);
8g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 693mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Posted by Keplerkid at recipegoldmine.com
Source: TSR Message Board - Recipe by Happy@Home