Louisiana Ring Cake
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup solid shortening
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Topping: Mix all ingredients together, blending well. Spread in bottom of a very
well-greased tube pan.
- Cake: Heat oven to 370 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; add sugar. Mix well. Cut in shortening;
add milk, extracts, and eggs. Beat thoroughly.
- Pour batter over topping and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from pan immediately so that topping does not stick to pan.