Louisiana-Style Red Bean Pasta Salad
Looking for a red bean pasta salad recipe with some kick? Try this fast and totally
unique Louisiana-Style Pasta Salad!
- 1/2 pound pasta shells
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 10 ounces Andouille sausage
- 1 red pepper (5 ounces), seeded and sliced
- 1 green pepper (5 ounces), seeded and sliced
- 1/2 medium onion (5 ounces), sliced
- 2 tablespoons lowfat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) lowfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, or more to taste
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to
package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Heat a grill over high heat. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon oil over the
Andouille sausage. Grill until nicely charred on one side (about 3
minutes), the turn and repeat on the other side.
- Lower heat to medium and continue to cook, turning from time to time until
the sausage is cooked through (about 10 minutes all together).
- When cool enough to handle, chop sausage and place in the bowl with the
- Put the grill back over high heat.
- Toss the peppers and onion with the remaining oil. Season with salt and
pepper and grill until softened and lightly charred (about 5 minutes).
- When cool enough to handle, roughly chop the vegetables. Place in the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, yogurt, thyme and hot sauce.
Stir into the pasta bowl. Add the beans.
- Stir everything together. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition: Per serving: 331 calories, 13 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat,
40 g carbohydrate, 13 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 20 mg cholesterol, 545 mg sodium
An exclusive PastaFits.org recipe.
Recipe and photo credit:
the National Pasta Association.
Other Cajun and Creole recipes you may like...
Cajun Blooming Onion
Louisiana Sweet Potato Pancakes
Lemon Cream King Cake