Louisiana Sweet Potato Pancakes
These are a very welcome change from regular pancakes. Great with maple syrup
or cranberry sauce.
- 3/4 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water, and cook until
tender but firm, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, and immediately immerse in cold water to loosen skins. Drain, remove
skins, chop, and mash.
- n a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Mix mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk and butter in a separate medium bowl.
Blend sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture to form a batter.
- Preheat a lightly greased griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter mixture
onto the prepared griddle by heaping tablespoonsful, and cook until golden brown,
turning once with a spatula when the surface begins to bubble.
Reprinted with permission from
Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.