Mardi Gras Creole Gumbo
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced canned, frozen or fresh okra
- 1 (6 ounce) can crab meat, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Gumbo: In a large saucepan,
cook the celery, bell pepper, onion, and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Blend in the flour. Cook over medium heat for
about 10 minutes or until the mixture browns. Stir constantly.
- Gradually add the water and tomatoes. Stir
- Stir in the remaining gumbo ingredients. Bring
to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for one hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Croutons: Separate the dough
into biscuits. Cut each into 4 pieces. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with
butter. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet immediately.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Serving: Pour the gumbo into
individual serving bowls.
- Top each serving with croutons.
Yield: 4 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.