Mardi Gras Gumbo
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts (8 cups) water
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 jar fresh oysters (1 pint)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Gumbo file
- Slowly brown oil and flour to make dark roux.
- Add onions, simmer until onion wilts.
- Add salt, garlic, and water. Bring to boil.
- Add cayenne pepper, chicken (which has been browned in separate pot) with all
contents of browning pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add oysters. Simmer for 20 or 30 minutes more.