Mardi Gras King Cake
- 1 package yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 6 teaspoons milk, scalded and cooled
- 4 cups flour (to 5 cups)
- 1/2 pound butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Small plastic doll (or bean)
- Light corn syrup for topping
- Granulated sugar for topping - green, yellow, purple
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk and about 1/2 cup of flour. In a
large bowl, blend butter, sugar, salt and eggs. Add yeast dough and mix thoroughly.
Gradually, add 2 1/2 cups flour to make a medium dough. Place in a greased bowl
and brush with melted butter. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until
double in volume, about 3 hours.
- Use 1 cup or more flour to knead dough and roll into a 4 to 5 foot long
rope. Form into a oval on a 14 x 17-inch greased cookie sheet, connecting ends
of the rope with a few drops of water. Press the doll (or bean) into the dough
from underneath. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double in volume,
about 1 hour.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Brush top of cake with corn syrup and sprinkle with alternating bands of
Cake freezes well.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 1/27/2002 6:10 pm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes