- 1 (4- to 6-pound chicken
- 1 to 2 pounds smoked sausage (hotter the better)
- 1 or 2 smoked turkey legs or wings
- 1/8 pound tasso (optional)
- 1 big onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup green onion tops (bottoms ok, too)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 1/2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pickled cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pepper vinegar (optional)
- 1 to 3 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 cup Roux
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Gumbo: Boil the water, then slowly add and dissolve the Roux (take your time
to make sure it dissolves).
- Add remaining ingredients. Boil slowly with pot cover open slightly for 2 hours.
Taste and season during the last hour of boiling. You may add 1 pound sliced okra
during last 30 minutes (optional).
- Serve over fresh rice in a big bowl.
- Roux: Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium flame. Slowly add flour, stirring
constantly. Brown flour slowly (allow 20 minutes) until the color of caramel.
- Scoop all into a jar or cup.
Serves about 15 to 20 average people, or 4 to 5 Cajuns, Creoles or musicians.
Source: Mojo & the Bayou Gypsies
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes