New Orleans Ham Gumbo
- 9 tablespoons shortening or oil
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 1 (15 ounce) can Spanish style tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce, optional
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham, 1/2-inch cubes *
- Melt shortening in large 5-quart Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add flour; cook and brown flour, stirring constantly, until it is deep, dark
- Add chopped onion and diced bell pepper. Flour will stop browning when onion
is added. Cook until onion turns clear, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato sauce, purred tomatoes and water; stir until smooth and boiling. Cook
3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add all spices and seasoning, stirring well.
- Add thin-sliced okra and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cubed ham and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Gumbo may be prepared in a day in advance and stored in refrigerator.
- Serve over scoops of fluffy white rice.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
* Cleaned shrimp may be substituted for all or half of ham.
Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook - Recipe by Mary L. Phillips of Midlothian,