New Orleans Jambalaya
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper and cayenne
- Pepper to taste
- Cook rice while make jambalaya (or you can use leftover rice for this).
- Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan; then sauté the onion, celery, pepper
and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato paste, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes longer over
- Add in the sugar and 1 1/2 cups water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and
cayenne pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add raw shrimp and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup warm water; add to pan and cook 2 minutes longer.
Add in the cooked rice, green onion and parsley. Mix again and cook for a couple
Yield: 6 servings