Okra Catfish Stew
This is a rich stew chock full of veggies and, of course, enough catfish to ensure
some in every bite.
- 6 U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 (16 ounce) box frozen okra
- 3 dried bay leaves
teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large baking potato, cut
into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay ®
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and
pepper to taste
- Place large stock pot over medium high heat for 1 minute; add oil.
- Add onion; cook 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, okra, bay leaves, thyme, oregano and potatoes.
Bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle catfish with seafood seasoning. Add catfish; continue to simmer
6 minutes or until catfish is cooked through.
- Add sugar, vinegar and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo credit:
The Catfish Institute.