Opelousas Baked Chicken
This is a very famous Opelousas, Louisiana dish. The secret is in the seasoning
and the long, slow basting process. It's served with rice dressing, petit pois,
candied yams, green salad, French bread and black coffee demitasse.
- 4 fryer halves
- Creole seasoning or salt and pepper)
- 1 cup leftover chicken fat or oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 small can paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Season chicken generously with Creole seasoning or salt and pepper. Rub well
on each side.
- Place fryer halves in open baking pan and cover with a mixture of oil and water.
- Place pan in preheated oven (275 degrees F) and bake until hot.
- Sprinkle generously with paprika and chili powder. Baste continuously every half
hour until dark brown - 3 to 5 hours.
Yield: 4 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes