- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (green and white parts)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 quart freshly shucked oysters, drained
- 2 (9-inch) pie shells
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fry bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Add yellow onion to bacon drippings in skillet and cook, stirring, until soft
and lightly golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into bowl.
- Add bacon, scallions, parsley and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add oysters and toss gently to mix.
- Brush one pie shell with butter, then pour in oyster mixture and spread evenly
with a spatula.
- Roll out remaining pie shell and place on top of oyster filling. Prick with a
- Bake until crust is lightly brown - 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cool slightly before slicing to serve.
Yield: 4 servings