- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint oysters (about 16 large), drained
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1 large or 2 small baguettes
- 1/2 cup tartar sauce
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Tabasco sauce
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- On a large plate, combine cornmeal, cayenne pepper and salt. Add oysters and
coat completely, shaking to remove excess.
- In a deep pan, heat 1 1/2 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry oysters in batches of six or so, stirring occasionally, until golden and
just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer oyster with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Halve baguettes horizontally and spread tartar sauce on the cut sides.
- Evenly place tomatoes, lettuce and oysters on bottoms of bread.
- Season with Tabasco to taste.
- Top with remaining bread and press together.
- Cut into 4 pieces and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 431 calories (percent of calories from fat, 58), 10 grams protein,
38 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 28 grams fat, 55 milligrams cholesterol,
621 milligrams sodium
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Photo credit: I am Jeffrey on VisualHunt CC BY-NC-SA