This is a dish made famous by Pascal Manale's restaurant on Napolean Avenue
in New Orleans. It was known as "Barbecued Shrimp."
- 5 pounds large shrimp (7 pounds with head on)
- 1 pound butter
- 1/2 cup freshly-ground black pepper
- Rinse and drain shrimp and place them, unpeeled, in a single layer in a large
shallow baking pan.
- Cut each stick of butter in two to make eight pieces and place on top of the
- Grind peppercorns in a spice grinder or blender to make 1/2 cup and sprinkle
the pepper evenly over the shrimp.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, turning the shrimp at least twice to absorb
the pepper-butter on all sides.
- Serve directly from the pan with a loaf of sliced French bread so that guests
can peel the shrimp as they go and sop up the sauce with hunks of bread.
- Provide a platter of hot washcloths, also.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes