Pimento Cheese and Creole Shrimp Po-Boy
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red peppers, well drained, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (6 ounces) spicy pickle relish
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 pound (4 cups) Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound (4 cups) Wisconsin Colby cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons brandy, white port or beer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce (such as Tabasco®) to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup (2-4 ounces) buttermilk or light flavored beer
- 1/3 pound uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Flat leaf parsley to taste, chopped
- 1 (6-inch) Po-boy bread or baton/French bread
- Shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced pickles for garnish
- 2-3 tablespoons (2 ounces) pimento cheese
- Pimento Cheese: In medium bowl, combine peppers, mayo, relish and green onions;
mix well. Add cheeses and brandy. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
Slowly add buttermilk or beer to achieve desired consistency.
- Sandwich: In medium bowl, toss shrimp with garlic, Creole seasoning and bell
pepper. Set aside.
- Add oil to large sauté pan; add shrimp and sauté over medium high heat until
shrimp are just firm and pink. Add lemon juice and parsley; cover to keep warm.
- Split bread lengthwise, but do not cut all the way through. Layer lettuce, tomato
and pickles on bottom cut. Place shrimp on top and spoon pimento cheese over; close
sandwich and serve immediately.
Yield: 1 sandwich
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Wisconsin Cheese Board