Jambalaya is notorious for being complicated and taking a long time to make -
but not this time! Enjoy the taste of N'awlins with just a few easy steps.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders or thinly sliced chicken breasts 500 g
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 mL
- 1/4 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed and finely diced 125 g
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce/398 mL) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme 15 mL
- 1/2 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined 250 g
- 2 cups cooked brown rice 500 mL
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In large non-stick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, salt and pepper and sauté 6 to 8 minutes until chicken
is cooked through. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Add sausage and garlic to skillet and sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add jalapeño pepper, red pepper, celery and onion. Continue to sauté
for 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Add canned tomatoes and thyme. Simmer 10 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Add shrimp and chicken back to skillet and cook until shrimp are
done, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Yield: 8 servings | Serving size: 1 cup (250 mL)
Nutritional analysis - per serving: Calories 270 Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g Cholesterol 90 mg Carbohydrates 18 g Fiber 2 g Protein
25 g Sodium 540 mg
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): CanolaInfo.org