- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, sauté onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add rabbit and enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or
until meat is very tender.
- Add sausage, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20
- Remove rabbit; cool.
- Debone and cut rabbit into bite-size pieces; return to pan.
- Stir in okra; bring to a boil.
- Serve in bowls over rice.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings