Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage
Beans and rice spell "dinner" in many different languages, and when paired with
a grilled smoked sausage, the dish becomes sublime. Serve with a green salad and
hot French bread.
- 1 pound smoked pork sausage, split lengthwise in half
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup smoked ham, diced (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- Broil or grill sausage until browned, keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet with tight-fitting lid, sauté ham, onion
and garlic in oil until lightly browned, about 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover
and simmer until rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with grilled sausage.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information: Calories: 510 calories Protein: 27 grams Fat: 28
grams Sodium: 2050 milligrams Cholesterol: 60 milligrams Saturated Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes