Rock Shrimp Creole with Fried Eggplant
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds rock shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat canola oil in deep skillet on medium-high heat to 350 degrees F.
- Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk to make egg wash.
- Dust eggplant rounds in flour, dip into egg wash and then roll in breadcrumbs.
- Fry eggplant about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Drain and keep warm.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, chopped red pepper and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook until softened.
- Stir in wine, capers and red pepper flakes; bring sauce to a simmer.
- Add shrimp and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Add butter and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Stir in cilantro.
- To serve, arrange fried eggplant slices on serving plate and top with shrimp
and Creole sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Florida Department of Agriculture
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes