- 1 1/2 pounds smoked country-style link sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 to 16 ounce) can tomatoes (2 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Place sausage in large skillet or Dutch oven. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover. Simmer
for 5 minutes.
- Drain off water. Continue to cook sausage about 10 minutes, turning to brown
- Remove sausage to absorbent paper, cool and slice.
- Pour off sausage fat and return 3 tablespoons to skillet.
- Stir in flour and cook until a deep brown.
- Add garlic, onions, celery and green peppers. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes, broth, seasonings, okra and reserved sausage. Simmer, covered,
for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in gumbo file.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes