Seafood and Sausage Gumbo
When it comes to gumbo and many other southern dishes, it's all about the
roux - a cooked mix of flour and fat that is used to thicken the stock and serve
as the basis for the gumbo. The gumbo recipe below calls for a roux and gives
instructions on how to prepare it.
- 1 1/4 Frontier Organic Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Organic Cajun Seasoning Blend
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 ounces okra, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 red bell pepper, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 onion, finely diced
- 1 1/4 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 3/4 cups fish stock or clam juice
- 7 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 5-inch slices
- 11 ounces large shrimp, peeled
- 11 ounces lump crabmeat
- 2 teaspoons parsley, minced
- Heat 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil in a heavy soup pot over medium
heat. Stir in okra and reduce heat to low. Cook gently about 25 minutes,
until okra is very soft. Remove okra from pan and set aside.
- To make the roux, wipe out pan with a paper towel. Add remaining oil
and set over medium high heat. When oil is very hot, gradually add flour,
whisking constantly as it is added. Switch to a wooden spoon and cook 3-5
minutes, stirring constantly, until the roux takes on a rich, medium dark
brown color. Be sure to watch carefully so the roux doesn’t burn!
- Carefully stir in bell peppers, onion and celery. Reduce heat to medium
low and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to
soften. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add okra, tomatoes, fish stock,
bay leaves, Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer gently 30 minutes.
- Add sausage, shrimp and crabmeat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, just until
shrimp are pink and curled.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in parsley. Season with hot sauce
- Serve over rice.
Total Time: 1 hr 50 min | Hands-on Time: 30 min | Yield: 15 servings
Recipe and photo credit: Frontier Co-op