- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 pound ham, cut into strips
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 2 pounds shelled, deveined shrimp
- 3 cups water, broth or fish stock
- 2 cups rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven and blend in the flour.
- Add onions, garlic and ham and cook just until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them down for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the rice well and add to the sauce. Add more water, if necessary. Cook until
rice is done.
- Add shrimp and cook on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until shrimp looks opaque.
Do not overcook shrimp, or they will become tough. Watch closely as rice cooks,
to be sure there is enough liquid to keep from burning. Add water, tomato juice
or V-8 if necessary.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cajun and Creole recipes