Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
- 1 pound fresh sliced okra (or 2 boxes frozen sliced okra)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 – 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Pinch or two of salt
- 1 can Ro*Tel
- Pan sauté the okra in a little oil until light brown.
- Slowly stir the flour into heated oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Continue
to stir until the flour is dark brown.
- Add the onions, bell peppers and celery. Cook down until the onions are clear.
- Add water, bay leaf and Cajun seasoning and stir well. Once this is mixed, add
cooked okra. Cook slowly for about 45 minutes over very low heat, stirring often,
adding water if necessary.
- Add shrimp and cook another 25 – 30 minutes over low heat.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste. Add a pinch or two of salt if necessary.