- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 ribs celery and leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces curly vermicelli,
- 2 pounds peeled fresh shrimp
- Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan. Add onions, sweet pepper, garlic, celery and parsley.
Sauté until wilted.
- Add tomato paste and half the can of water. Sauté, stirring over medium heat
for 10 minutes.
- Add the 2 quarts water and stir in seasonings. Bring to boil. Add vermicelli
and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and continue boiling 10 minutes or until shrimp are cooked.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Source: Louisiana Homemakers Family Favorites cookbook published in
1984 by the Louisiana Extension Homemakers Council Inc.