Skillet Shrimp Creole
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon file powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or no-salt-added tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, garlic,
onion, bell pepper, and file powder. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, in a small saucepan, cook beans until heated through,
about 5 minutes.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Add tomatoes, wine, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to vegetable mixture.
Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp; cook, stirring until just opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon rice and beans onto individual plates. Spoon shrimp mixture on top.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings