Sweet Potato and Pecan Beignets with Dulce de Leche
These delicious beignets are served warm drizzled with dulce de leche or your favorite caramel sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche or your favorite
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Tiny pinch cayenne
- Caramel sauce for plating
- Sift all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix
the sweet potatoes, ricotta, egg white, bourbon and vanilla extract until
smooth. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Roll into 12 balls (the size of a walnut) setting them on a baking sheet
lined with parchment.
- Refrigerate until ready to fry.
- Heat a countertop fryer to 355 degrees F. Or heat 3 inches of oil in a
deep, heavy bottom pot with a deep-frying thermometer.
- Fry the beignets in small batches until golden, turning them in the oil
to cook evenly.
- Remove from the oil. Drain on paper towels.
- Place 3 beignets per plate. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm drizzled with Dulce de Leche or your favorite caramel sauce.
Servings: 4 | Cook Time: 1 hr
Credit: Carolyn Kumpe
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission