- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large skinned, sliced seeded tomatoes or 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 shredded green bell pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add vegetables, and cook until they are tender —
about 12 minutes. Add remaining ingredients
- Strain the juice from the vegetables and add to it enough cream to make 1 1/2
cups of liquid. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour. Simmer and stir the sauce until
it is thick and smooth.
- Combine the sauce with the vegetables and serve hot on toast with sautéed bacon.
Or you can use it to fill pepper or squash cases.