The Chippewa took these fried cakes along when the tribe was moving or warriors
were hunting. They are, however, best eaten hot.
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or bacon drippings
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cooking oil (for frying)
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, water, butter or bacon drippings, syrup and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Drop batter
by tablespoonsful into hot oil. Flatten with spatula and fry cakes until crisp and
browned on both sides. Add more oil as needed.
Serves 4 to 6.
>> NATIVE AMERICAN RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.