- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Wash cranberries and dry on paper towels.
- Sift dry ingredients together and mix
in milk gradually to form a stiff dough. With well-floured hands, pinch off 1 teaspoon
of dough and make an indentation. Sprinkle a little brown sugar in the indentation
and place a cranberry in the center. Roll dough around the berry. balls should be
about the size of a large marble.
- Heat oil in a deep, heavy kettle until the temperature reaches 375 degrees F.
- Drop fritter balls into the hot fat and fry, turning, until they are deep golden
brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. If desired, shake confectioners' sugar
over the fritters just before serving.
- Serve hot.
Makes 3 dozen.