- 2 cups huckleberries or blueberries
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- Oil (for deep frying)
- Wash berries and allow to drain well.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs with water until foamy. Mix quickly into dry ingredients. Fold in
- Heat oil or shortening in deep heavy skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Drop batter by tablespoonsful into the hot oil. Turn fritters frequently so that
they brown to a deep golden color on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Makes 2 dozen.