This is a wonderful Cherokee recipe. Blueberries may be substituted for the huckleberries.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh huckleberries or blueberries, or frozen or canned berries, well drained
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and honey. Beat in eggs
and milk. Sift in 1 1/2 cups of the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, toss berries with remaining flour. Gently fold berries into
batter. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the cake is golden brown and a wooden pick
inserted in the center comes out clean.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.