This is a wonderful Cherokee recipe. Blueberries may be substituted for the huckleberries.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs,
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh huckleberries or blueberries,
or frozen or canned berries, well drained
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar and honey. Beat in eggs and milk.
Sift in 1 1/2 cups of the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, toss berries with remaining flour. Gently fold berries into
batter. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the
cake is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.