Native American Pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups raisins or dried currants
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole.
- In a saucepan, combine 3 cups of the milk and all the maple syrup over medium
heat. Heat until just boiling and add butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, ginger and nutmeg. Gradually stir cornmeal
mixture into hot milk. Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in raisins or currants. Spoon mixture into the casserole. Pour remaining
milk over pudding; do not stir.
- Bake pudding 2 1/2 hours or until all of the milk
has been absorbed and top is golden brown.
- Serve warm, topped with ice cream, if desired.