This is a recipe taken from the El Reno Tribune, El Reno, Oklahoma. Note that
Native Americans dip the bread in "sop," a mixture of corn syrup and bacon
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening, melted
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- Fat or oil (for deep-frying)
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl. Stir in shortening and milk. Knead
lightly to gather dough into ball. Roll out dough on lightly floured board. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- Heat fat or oil in deep fryer to 370 degrees F. Fry 2 or 3 at a time until golden
on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.