Baked Fresh Ham, Southern Style
- 6 pound fresh ham
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 hot dried red pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 garlic clove
- whole cloves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Put ham in kettle and cover with boiling water. Add next 4 ingredients.
Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Cool in the broth and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove rind from ham.
- Mix mustard and horseradish and rub on fat. Insert garlic in the fat.
Put on rack and bake in preheated slow oven (300 degrees F) for 2 hours.
- Score fat with a knife, stud with cloves and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour longer, basting occasionally with drippings in the pan.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.