- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a casserole dish pour about 3/4 of the vanilla wafers. Slice the bananas over
that. Set aside.
- Mix the cornstarch into the sugar and place in a large saucepan. Add milk and
cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork and add about 4 tablespoons hot milk/sugar mixture
into the yolks, stirring until well blended (this prevents chunks of cooked egg
yolk). Pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan and continue cooking over medium
heat, stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add vanilla extract and butter or margarine.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the bananas and wafers.
- To make meringue, beat the two egg whites until stiff. Add 3 tablespoons sugar
and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Spread over the pudding.
- Brown slightly in 350 degree F oven.