Benne (Sesame Seed Cookies)
Benne! Favorite Sesame Seed Cookies from the old South.
To prevent cookies from browning too quickly on the bottom, place an empty baking sheet in the oven under the sheet with cookies.
- 1 cup sesame seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sesame seeds in shallow pan; toast 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Combine butter and both sugars in a large bowl; beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Stir into sugar mixture.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sesame seeds.
- Roll dough into tablespoon size balls; roll balls in remaining sesame seeds. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.
Yield: 24 servings | Prep: 15 min | Bake: 10 min