Breakfast Shrimp is a classic Low Country preparation of shrimp and grits. Credited to Mrs. Ben Scott
Whaley in the Charleston Receipts cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 1/2 cups small, peeled raw shrimp
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water (or more)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Fry onion and green pepper in bacon grease.
- When onion is golden, add shrimp;
turn these several times with onion and pepper. Add enough water to make a sauce
— about 1 cup. Do not cover shrimp with water or your sauce will be tasteless. Simmer
for 2 or 3 minutes and thicken with flour and a little water made into a paste.
- Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup.
Cook slowly until sauce thickens.
- Serve with hominy.
Yield: 4 servings.