Charleston Red Rice
- 4 tablespoons onions, diced small
- 4 tablespoons green peppers, diced small
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 ounces Hillshire smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 1/3 cups tomato puree
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaf
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups rice
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Sauté onions and green peppers in melted butter until onions are transparent.
- Add sausage and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add next 9 ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix rice, sausage and tomato sauce and melted butter together in a pan or casserole for the oven.
- Set oven at 250 degrees F.
- Cover pan and bake for 1 hour, then bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees F or until rice is tender.
Source: The Post and Courier circa 1984