- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Splash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup sifted
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream butter. Mix in cheese, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce; stir to
- Slowly stir in flour until completely blended. Turn onto a lightly floured work
surface and shape dough into a roll. Cover in plastic wrap and chill for several
- When chilled, slice dough in four pieces lengthwise. Roll each piece until it
is as thin as a drinking straw. If the rolls become unwieldy cut them in half, crosswise.
- Slice into straw lengths, and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in
preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 10 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown and semi-crisp.
Yield: About 4 dozen, depending on thickness of slices
Tips to make wonderful cheese straws
Shred your own cheese; it's stickier and blends better than pre-shredded
Refrigerate unbaked dough between batches to keep wafers from spreading too thin
Store baked cheese straws in an airtight container for 1 week. Store unbaked
dough in the fridge for 1 week or in the freezer for 1 month.
Bake stored cheese straws in the oven at 350 degrees F for 3 to 4 minutes to
make them crispy again.