Classic Collard Greens
Bacon drippings and smoked turkey turn these greens into a side that can stand on its own.
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 4 bunches collard greens, stemmed and chopped (about 32 cups)
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning
- In a large Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add collards in batches, stirring until wilted after each addition.
- Add turkey leg, broth, salt and Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning; cover
and cook until greens are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 3 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Slap Ya Mama