- 2 cups crumbled cornbread
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 3 eggs
- 2 cans chicken broth (or more if needed - batter should be soupy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sage, or more if desired
- Crumble cornbread into a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes.
- Sauté until tender the celery and onion in the margarine.
- Add to the bread. Add eggs, chicken broth, sage, salt and pepper.
Should be really soupy. It will firm up some as it bakes.
- Bake uncovered in a 13 x 9-inch pan for about 45 minutes. When
done, dressing will be brown on top and may take up to an hour depending on your oven.
- Cut into squares to serve.