- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stir cornmeal into 1 cup cold water in a bowl.
- Bring 3 cups water and the salt to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add cornmeal mixture to the boiling water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Serve with sugar and milk or with butter.
Yield: 6 servings
Fried Cornmeal Mush: Pour hot mixture into lightly greased loaf pan. Cool at
room temperature and then cover and refrigerate overnight.
Cut into thin slices. Fry in butter, bacon fat, shortening, oil or lard in skillet
over medium-low heat until brown on both sides.
Serve with butter and syrup or as desired.