Field Peas and Rice
- 1 pound dried field peas or black-eyed peas
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 large onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 to 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot cooked rice for 6
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Rinse, pick over, and simmer field peas in water until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Rinse and drain the peas.
- In slow cooker combine peas with ham bone, onion, celery and garlic. Add 1 cup water or broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Add Cajun seasoning, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours longer.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with sliced green onion, if desired.