Flavorful Southern Collard Greens
- 3 pounds fresh collard greens
- 12 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Wash collard greens, removing all grit. Remove and discard hard stems. Place
greens together in small bunches; roll up. Cut crosswise into wide strips; set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat to desired crispness.
- Remove bacon
from skillet with slotted spoon, reserving 3 tablespoons of the drippings in skillet.
Set bacon aside.
- Add onion and garlic to drippings; cook and stir until tender.
- Add greens, water, sugar, salt and crushed red pepper to skillet. Reduce heat
to low; simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in bacon.
Yiwls:: 12 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Once opened, wrap bacon package tightly and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
How to Wash Collard Greens: Fill clean sink 2/3 full with cold water. Immerse
greens, in batches, in water; swish greens gently to remove any grit.
Nutritional Information: Calories 100; Total fat 7 g; Saturated fat 2.5 g;
Cholesterol 10 mg; Sodium 360 mg; Carbohydrate 8 g; Dietary fiber 4 g; Sugars 1
g; Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 90 %DV; Vitamin C 35 %DV; Calcium 15 %DV; Iron 2 %DV
Recipe and photo credit: Kraft Foods - kraftrecipes.com