Fried Cornmeal Mush
Most eat Fried Cornmeal Mush for breakfast or brunch, but it’s delicious any
time of the day.
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Oil for frying
- Pure maple syrup
- Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Boil 3 cups water.
- Combine remaining water with cornmeal and salt; add to boiling water.
Stir until mixture returns to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1
hour, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a large skillet, fry slices in oil until browned on each side.
- Serve with pure maple syrup.
The slices may be dredged in flour before frying, if desired.
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 1 hour 5 mins | 14 to 16 servings