Fried Green Tomatoes
In this recipe, you don't add salt to the dredging mixture; instead, you salt the tomatoes as soon as they are removed from the skillet. You may also make these with red tomatoes, but make sure that they are very firm; otherwise they will be mushy.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and pepper in a medium mixing bowl; stir
- Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal mixture.
- Fry tomato slices, a few at a time so that they are not touching, in 1/4
inch hot oil in a large skillet until browned, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels. Salt them as soon as they are removed from the
- Arrange on a serving platter; serve immediately.